Monday, June 6, 2011

A SOF Distinct Possibility

Just like building paddles can be addictive, so too can be boat building!!  I really like my new boat and it will remain my "main ride" for some time but there's always been a certain allure of a skin on frame (SOF)!! Back in the late 1970's, as a teenager, I built two SOFs but they weren't up to snuff and they are both rotting now under my uncle's cabin!!

I think it's time to revisit the idea of making a SOF - and doing it right!

The Disko (not to be confused with Disco!!) Bay boat is a well documented and oft-reproduced kayak design from the West of Greenland. Dave Gentry of Gentry Custom Boats has devised a way to recreate the Disko Bay in non-traditional building method. It's a wooden framed skin boat but minus all the steam bent ribs. Instead there is a small number of frames made from marine ply. Once the frame is completed, it is skinned as per any other traditional SOF. The boat looks and feels just like a Disko Bay of traditional construction but with a lot less frame work.

Dave Gentry has also slightly modified the design to include a larger cockpit coaming as opposed to the traditional small round one - this is great for tall people with stiff knees. The design also has a raised masik and foredeck to accommodate larger feet - another bonus for me!!

Even with these modifications, this is one nice looking craft.

Image courtesy of Gentry Custom Boats
Image courtesy of Gentry Custom Boats

Image courtesy of Gentry Custom Boats

Image courtesy of Gentry Custom Boats
If I decide on this design, then the next big question is "When?" I keep saying it'll be winter project but I'm not sure I can wait that long!! Decisions!! Decisions!! Decisions!!

3 comments:

  1. I've been debating the same Sean. For me Im gonna wait till I hit NFLD now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice looking boat, Sean. I wish I had the space, tools, and inclination. Maybe one day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sean, beautiful boat, Do you know how to contact Dave Gentry? I've tried the "contact" link on his web page but it appears to be a dead link

    ReplyDelete